Thursday, 3 April 2008

Shylock Quotes - is he a villain or a victim?


Hello S2 - hope you are having a good holiday.

You'll be delighted to learn that I've copied out loads of good quotes from TMoV about Shylock - these will be really useful to you for when you are writing your essays soon about whether Shylock is a victim or a villain.

The formatting is all wrong but I'm sure you won't mind that too much!

Enjoy!


I hate him for he is a Christian,
But more for that in low simplicity
He lends out money gratis and brings down
The rate of usance here with us in Venice.

He hates our sacred nation

Signior Antonio, many a time and oft
In the Rialto you have rated me
About my moneys and my usances:
Still have I borne it with a patient shrug,
For sufferance is the badge of all our tribe.You call me misbeliever, cut-throat dog,
And spit upon my Jewish gaberdine,
And all for use of that which is mine own.
Well then, it now appears you need my help:Go to, then; you come to me, and you say'
Shylock, we would have moneys:' you say so;
You, that did void your rheum upon my beardAnd foot me as you spurn a stranger cur
Over your threshold: moneys is your suitWhat should I say to you?
Should I not say'Hath a dog money? is it possibleA cur can lend three thousand ducats?'
Or Shall I bend low and in a bondman's key,With bated breath and whispering humbleness,
Say this;'Fair sir, you spit on me on Wednesday last;You spurn'd me such a day; another timeYou call'd me dog; and for these courtesiesI'll lend you thus much moneys'?

Why, look you, how you storm!I would be friends with you and have your love,Forget the shames that you have stain'd me with,Supply your present wants and take no doitOf usance for my moneys, and you'll not hear me:This is kind I offer.

If you repay me not on such a day,In such a place, such sum or sums as areExpress'd in the condition, let the forfeitBe nominated for an equal poundOf your fair flesh, to be cut off and takenIn what part of your body pleaseth me.

If he should break his day, what should I gainBy the exaction of the forfeiture?A pound of man's flesh taken from a manIs not so estimable, profitable neither,As flesh of muttons, beefs, or goats.

If e'er the Jew her father come to heaven,It will be for his gentle daughter's sake:

For I did dream of money-bags to-night.

As the dog Jew did utter in the streets:'My daughter! O my ducats! O my daughter!Fled with a Christian! O my Christian ducats!Justice! the law! my ducats, and my daughter!

SHYLOCK You know, none so well, none so well as you, of mydaughter's flight.
SALARINO That's certain: I, for my part, knew the tailorthat made the wings she flew withal.
SALANIO And Shylock, for his own part, knew the bird was fledged; and then it is the complexion of them all to leave the dam.

He hath disgraced me, andhindered me half a million; laughed at my losses,mocked at my gains, scorned my nation, thwarted mybargains, cooled my friends, heated mine enemies; and what's his reason? I am a Jew


Hath not a Jew eyes? hath not a Jew hands, organs,dimensions, senses, affections, passions? fed withthe same food, hurt with the same weapons, subjectto the same diseases, healed by the same means,warmed and cooled by the same winter and summer, asa Christian is? If you prick us, do we not bleed?if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poisonus, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we notrevenge?

If we are like you in the rest, we willresemble you in that. If a Jew wrong a Christian,what is his humility? Revenge. If a Christianwrong a Jew, what should his sufferance be byChristian example? Why, revenge. The villany youteach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but Iwill better the instruction.

I would my daughterwere dead at my foot, and the jewels in her ear!would she were hearsed at my foot, and the ducats inher coffin!

no in luck stirring but what lights on myshoulders; no sighs but of my breathing; no tearsbut of my shedding.

Never did I knowA creature, that did bear the shape of man,So keen and greedy to confound a man

Gaoler, look to him: tell not me of mercy;This is the fool that lent out money gratis:Gaoler, look to him.

Thou call'dst me dog before thou hadst a cause;But, since I am a dog, beware my fangs:

I'll have my bond; and therefore speak no more.I'll not be made a soft and dull-eyed fool,To shake the head, relent, and sigh, and yieldTo Christian intercessors.

I am sorry for thee: thou art come to answerA stony adversary, an inhuman wretchuncapable of pity, void and emptyFrom any dram of mercy.

You'll ask me, why I rather choose to haveA weight of carrion flesh than to receiveThree thousand ducats: I'll not answer that:But, say, it is my humour: is it answer'd?

You will answer'The slaves are ours:' so do I answer you:The pound of flesh, which I demand of him,Is dearly bought; 'tis mine and I will have it.

My deeds upon my head! I crave the law,The penalty and forfeit of my bond.

Nay, take my life and all; pardon not that:You take my house when you do take the propThat doth sustain my house; you take my lifeWhen you do take the means whereby I live.

Two things provided more, that, for this favour,He presently become a Christian;The other, that he do record a gift,Here in the court, of all he dies possess'd,Unto his son Lorenzo and his daughter.

No comments: